Huskies @ Work: Jacklyn Scymcyk

Huskies @ Work

UConn students in an internship or co-op experience have been taking over the @UConnCCD Instagram account this summer as part of the Center for Career Development‘s Huskies @ Work series.

Interested in showing off your internship? Sign up online for a chance to participate and give your fellow Huskies a behind-the-scenes view of your work experience.

Featuring Jacklyn Scymcyk

Last week, psychological sciences major Jacklyn Scymcyk showed us her human resources internship at the Wildlife Conservation Society, headquartered at the Bronx Zoo:

Today's #huskiesatwork insta-takeover is going to get a little wild! Join Jacklyn Scymcyk as she shows us her internship with @thewcs

A photo posted by Center for Career Development (@uconnccd) on

Hello Everyone! I’m Jacklyn Scymcyk and I’m a senior psychology major and anthropology minor. After graduating this year I plan on going to Graduate School for Industrial/Organization Psychology, which is the research and application of psychology in the workplace. In my internship this summer I am learning more about employee education by being a part of the Learning & Capacity Building Team under the Human Resource Department for The Wildlife Conservation Society (@thewcs). This team consist of 7 interns who are studying I/O Psychology at the Graduate and Undergraduate level, 2 I/O Psychologist, the Director of Human Resources, and an expert in organizational education. Together we work towards providing all of the employees of @thewcs with the resources and empowerment to further their professional development opportunities to help achieve their own personal success and the success of WCS. #huskiesatwork

@thewcs has over 4,000 staff members in 64 countries around the world. Many of these employees work in the New York City’s zoos and aquariums, and the headquarters for WCS is located at the Bronx Zoo (@bronxzoo) where my team works to not only bring our “corporate university”, WCS U, to the NYC employees, but to all of our employees around the world. Because WCS U was just started in February, I am able to learn about, and help with the implementation of WCS U courses in multiple formats, to ensure that all employees are engaged in and have access to learning opportunities whether they work down the hall in our administration building or in remote locations in the field #TogetherWeGrow #huskiesatwork

As I mentioned in the previous post, I help monitor engagement in WCS U across the organization. Because this is a new opportunity for WCS U employees, their feedback is important to HR so we can help improve WCS U. Some ways I have monitored engagement is by running statistics on the types of courses employees are enrolling in and completing, usage of the Staff Directory, and most recently by creating my own feedback on our new performance management system for one of our departments, which is a more modern approach used by top organizations, that is more goal focused, and creates meaningful feedback, between employees and managers. After running the data analysis I put my results into a presentation that has to be understandable and appealing to employees at all level of the organization from the employees who are part of this performance management system to the COO #huskiesatwork

After a few hours of work and a lunch break, my supervisor and team heads back to the office, with a little detour to one of the exhibits on the way back. This internship perk reminds me how lucky I am to work here in two ways. Firstly, research by I/O psychologist and other professionals has shown that walks during breaks at works are beneficial both physically and psychological, and I am fortunate enough to have a great place to walk around on my breaks. Secondly, I get to see the guest enjoying the @bronxzoo, and being inspired by exhibits to take part in the conservation effort put forth by @thewcs . I am hopeful that as employees learn how to expand their professional capacities, that they can better help the public learn about the importance of conservation and I am proud that I can (even to a small extent) have a potential to further the success of @thewcs as a member of the Learning and Capacity Building Team #huskiesatwork

After break, myself and the other interns are able to help with the some of all day session for the Management and Leadership Development Certificate Program. This program was created based on feedback from a survey sent to 100 mangers across WCS in Fall of 2014 and best practice research from I/O Psychology, Management, and HR publications. This program, Communicating Effectively in the Workplace, is the first one we have implemented and is focused around working with various communication styles, giving and receiving feedback, and being self-aware of how your communication impacts yourself and others. In a few months our team will continue with this program by implementing our Managing Others, Leading Teams, and Leading Change certificate programs. In addition to learning about how professionals in my field implement these programs, I have also learned how to improve my own leadership skills from the lectures and actives that the employees are doing as part of the program. #huskiesatwork

Leaving my office at the end of the day I am lucky enough to pass by another exhibit. Not only does this exhibit remind me that I am lucky to work at the @bronxzoo, but that one of the seal lion care takers who helps educate the public during the sea lion feeding and presentation, will be helping our team as a “subject matter expert” for a workshop in Interacting with the Public, just like our Director of Public Affairs did recently with a workshop in Social Media. It is such a great opportunity to work with such inspiring people in my field, at the @bronxzoo, and across @thewcs in order to provide @thewcs employees with opportunities to teach and learn from each other in order to achieve personal success and the success of @thewcs #TogetherWeGrow #huskiesatwork